In 1858 a small two track locomotive depot was built at Llandudno Junction by The St. George's Harbour Company. The line was leased to the LNWR in 1862 and absorbed by them on July 28th 1873. The LNWR then closed this depot in 1880.

The closed depot was replaced the same year with a brick built 4 track
dead end building with a north light pattern roof. It was sited south of it's predecessor and included a coal stage, water pump and turntable and housed twelve engines.

In 1899 the LNWR undertook major re-building of this small depot which included increasing the length to 320 foot and converting it to a through road shed, to house twenty four engines, and also building a new carriage shed alongside. Apart from the LMS-style louvre roof with brick screen which was installed by the London Midland Region in 1957, this was the way the depot and carriage shed remained until closure on October 3rd 1966 hence the reason for using (1899-2000) as the opening and closing dates of this great motive power depot and carriage shed.

Upon Nationalisation the shed was coded 7A then in 1952 it was re-coded to 6G which remained until the steam shed closed on October 3rd 1966. When the steam locomotive shed was closed and later demolished the carriage shed was used for diesel loco's, DMU's and storage of rolling stock. The shed was again allocated a new code, LJ.

Llandudno junction was the "splitting point" for trains from England to Holyhead and the town of Llandudno. Up to the late 1960's it was a very busy junction, handling all of the engines that came with the holiday specials along with the normal scheduled workings.

Many famous steam engines were watered and fed at "the junction" but one notable visitor was the experimental gas turbine loco GT3 in March 1961.

 Another famous visitor was a Caledonian Railway 4-2-2-, No. 123. built in 1886. Although withdrawn by the LMS in 1935 she was fully restored to the light blue livery of the "Caley" for her visit for a "Royal Journeys" exhibition , in Coronation Year, at Llandudno Station. 10,000 people were reported to have gathered to see the "Single wheeler" standing next to Queen Victoria's coach from the Royal Train of her day.


Although in the nineties, the shed was left to it's own devices, an extensive modernisation program was undertaken in 1957 which included the replacement of the old L.N.W.R. roof (described above). illustrating the importance the shed still had up to the early sixties. Anybody who saw the neglected carriage shed roof just before demolition would surely ponder the fall in popularity of railway travel and the declining importance of our network and possibly ask the question - why?
Ffordd 6G (Road 6G)

Surely no other locomotive depot has had a road named after it as 6G has. The new road, that swoops over the old railway site that contained the shed and sidings,  gives access to the new Tesco superstore and the cinema multiplex and fast food outlets that now trade on the once busy railway complex that kept the main line engines serviced and ready. The Tesco Superstore on the opposite side of Ffordd 6G, was  built on  reclaimed land from the salt marshes of the River Conwy.

 It was originally stated on this page that Tesco's was built on the site of  6G's railway sidings. This was incorrect , and I thank Dave Plimmer for this information.